High Strength Structural Strand
Wirerope Works, Inc. offers SS-265™, a high strength structural strand designed specifically for use in tower applications. Compared with standard structural strand, SS-265 offers an increase in minimum breaking force of 15% above the values for strand manufactured to specification ASTM-A586. Using SS-265 also offers these advantages:
• Reduced Structural Strand Diameter—Now that designers can utilize a smaller diameter strand for the guying system, SS-265 offers a lower cost per foot, allowing the user to cut valuable dollars from the cost of a project.
• Smaller Fittings—Many fittings manufactured for standard strand may be used with the SS-265, thereby offering a lower cost per unit and adding further cost reductions.
• Decreased Total Weight—Because of SS-265’s reduced strand diameter, the total weight of the guys is also reduced.
For users who opt to use SS-265 without downsizing the diameter of the strand, other benefits apply. For example, using a 2-inch diameter as an example, the minimum breaking force increases from 245 tons to SS-265’s 282 tons. The higher strength results in an increased design factor of the guying system. SS-265 also may be used in other applications where structural strand manufactured to ASTM-A586 is utilized. Please contact your WW regional sales manager or customer service representative for further information.
To ensure quality of all Bethlehem Wire Rope and Strand products, WW utilizes Statistical Process Controls (SPC). In doing so,we are able to test and certify the following:
- manufacture of wire to order specification
- manufacture of rope or strand to order specification
- tensile strength
- modulus of elasticity
- actual breaking force of rope or strand
- prestretching, measuring and proofloading
In addition, WW can obtain material certification from end termination vendors. WW is certified by API and recognized by ABS, DNV and Lloyd’s of London. WW is also ISO-9001-2000 certified.
When ordering Bethlehem Structural Strand and Wire Rope Assemblies, please provide the following, as required:
- Product description • Prestretching
- Striping • Proofloading
- Pin orientation • Certification
- Special features • Length tolerances
- Galvanized coating
- Modulus of elasticity
- Length and point of measurement
- Measuring at required load
- End terminations (dimensions, pin sizes, jaw openings)
- Nondestructive test method